12 Mar / 2018
Wakaw Ukrainian Dance Spring Recital
Sunday, May 6 6:30pm
05 Feb / 2018
SMALL TOWN, BIG PRIDE
Wakaw is celebrating Linden Vey as he journeys to the Olympics!
In early January, Wakaw’s Linden Vey was the only Saskatchewan hockey player named to Team Canada’s Men’s Olympic Squad. Town of Wakaw Mayor and Council quickly gave direction that this is a time for our population of 1000 to celebrate our pride for Linden. Various initiatives have been organized to recognize Vey’s journey to the Olympics:
1. VEY DAY IN WAKAW – February 14, 2018. Mayor Steve Skoworodko declared February 14, the day before Team Canada hits the ice, Vey Day in Wakaw. Wakaw will be wearing red in support of Linden, with many sporting custom Vey 91 shirts.
2. MAKE YOUR MARK/FOLLOW THE FLAG From January 27- February 10 a large Canada flag is making its rounds. The goal? To have as many people sign it with well wishes for Linden. The Flag will then travel to Pyeongchang with Linden’s family and be delivered to #91 himself.
3. GO LINDEN WINDOW WARS For the duration of the Olympic Games local businesses and institutions will decorate their windows, facades, storefronts, entrances or outbuildings to show support for Linden and Team Canada. To kick start the patriotism and pride, the town has purchased Flags for each business. An adjudication group representing all ages will go around on Vey Dey to choose the top three displays.
4. JAMMIE SELFIES For Canada’s first game on February 15 at 6 am, the town will be spearheading a social media campaign with the hashtag #SmallTownBigPride. Alarms across the community are set to go off as residents rise to watch game one on an early Wednesday morning.
5. VIEWING PARTY: An all ages viewing party is planned for February 16 at 9pm in the Wakaw Rec Centre. Anticipate a full house and screaming fans as Canada takes on the Czech Republic. Free admission, volunteer run and all proceeds from food and bar sales will go to Wakaw Minor Hockey as per Linden’s direction.
Name: Erin Standish, Community Developer Mobile: 306-233-8404
Name: Steven Skoworodko, Mayor Mobile: 306-233-7838
Facebook: Wakaw Community & Recreation
Official Release : Wakaw Celebrates Local Olympian
08 Jan / 2018
The Town of Wakaw and our partners have multiple options for your next event. From intimate meetings to community fundraisers, there is space for you in our community. Reasonable rates for weddings, reunions, AGMS, workshops- we can help host it all. Contact the Office for rates and availability.
306-233-4223 or email@example.com
23 Oct / 2017
Wakaw School is hosting a Halloween Penny Carnival from 1-3pm on October 31st. This fun event is open to all students as well as preschoolers, toddlers and their families. Activities cost a quarter and proceeds go to the SRC.
Trick or Treating in our community follows the Carnival and goes to 6pm. Have fun everyone, and stay safe!
18 Oct / 2017
NOVEMBER 16 – 7PM
WAKAW REC CENTRE
Council would like to invite the public to an informal evening where they will share highlights of the past year and talk about plans for the future. Coffee and Donuts will be served, please plan to attend.
02 Oct / 2017
The Town would like to inform our residents as to the procedures surrounding the Town Siren. The siren operates differently based on specific community needs.
EMO ( Emergency Measures Organization)
Emergency personnel will set off and continuously run the Siren in the case of an EMO Situation in order to alert the general public to an impending emergency situation. Examples of EMO events include Severe & Dangerous Weather, Mass Casualty Situations, Public Threat, Evacuation Orders, etc. In the event of an EMO situation, the general public is encouraged to check local radio stations, Environment Canada communication, Wakaw Community & Recreation Facebook Page or this website. https://wakaw.ca
Our Firefighters have a communication system that reaches them immediately and directly when they are needed. If, for any reason, not enough volunteers respond initially the siren will run one round at a time to call for more volunteers. It will repeat until enough volunteers have responded to the call.
At this time we would like to introduce our new EMO Coordinator, Justin Smart. Justin can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
14 Sep / 2017
Over the next few weeks, changes will be coming to the intersection of Highways 41 & 2. The Department of Highways will be upgrading the intersection in stages. We will update our residents with details as they arise and thank you all for your cooperation.
10 Aug / 2017
The Wakaw Lions are in the process of fundraising for a Spray Park in our community. For information contact any Lion member or email@example.com!
02 Aug / 2017
There is a planned power outage for the Town of Wakaw on August 2nd from 6:30pm-9pm.